Kailua Elementary Principal named as finalist in $25,000 School Leadership Award | Business
Lanelle Hibbs, principal of Kailua Elementary School, was named a finalist in the 2012 Masayuki Tokioka Excellence in School Leadership Awards.
One Hawaii public school principal will receive $25,000 ($15,000 towards a school project of his or her choice and a $10,000 personal cash award). The recipient of this year’s award will be announced at the Public Schools of Hawaii Foundation dinner on April 13, 2012 in Honolulu.
The award, which is named after Island Insurance founder Masayuki Tokioka, is underwritten by the Island Insurance Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Island Insurance Companies. 11 public school principals from across the state are finalists for this year’s award which recognizes outstanding school principals across the state and their efforts to provide high-quality learning opportunities for their students.
Hibbs has been principal of Kailua Elementary for 11 years. Her open door policy with students, staff and parents has established a leadership role that is caring as well as encouraging to students and staff to always press forward and persevere. With the help of her staff, an “Academies” program was created to improve student math scores through various non-traditional classroom and outdoor experiences. Each teacher is assigned a group of 13 students that meet every other week to work on math-based activities in addition to mentoring and connecting with students on a much more intimate level.
“Principal Hibbs is committed to education and excellence for all her students,” said Laurie Jicha, School Community Counselor and PTSA member. “Her thinking outside of the box has enabled students to have programs that would not regularly be provided due to the lack of funding available.”
The Island Insurance Foundation was established as the charitable arm of Island Insurance, the only locally-owned property and casualty insurance carrier to have a charitable entity solely dedicated to supporting the non-profit community. Island Insurance is Hawaii’s largest locally owned and managed P&C insurance carrier with financial strength ratings of “A” by A.M. Best and Fitch Ratings and is the only Hawaii-Based company to be recognized as one of the Top 50 property & casualty insurance companies in the nation by the Ward Group for four consecutive years. For more information, visit its website at: www.islandinsurance.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Heed the call of the wild and support the Honolulu Zoo Society at Zoofari 2014
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Honolulu Little League All Stars need your help
- Windward Mall Invites Local Non-Profits to Participate in 10th Annual Festival of Giving
- Windward Mall Welcomes Five New Retail and Dining Options
- Kamalapua O Koolau awarded $20K toward youth education in Windward school district
- Ka 'Ohana student newspaper excels in national competition
- Hawaii gas prices remain mostly stable