Kailua Elementary Principal named as finalist in $25,000 School Leadership Award | Business
Lanelle Hibbs, principal of Kailua Elementary School, was named a finalist in the 2012 Masayuki Tokioka Excellence in School Leadership Awards.
One Hawaii public school principal will receive $25,000 ($15,000 towards a school project of his or her choice and a $10,000 personal cash award). The recipient of this year’s award will be announced at the Public Schools of Hawaii Foundation dinner on April 13, 2012 in Honolulu.
The award, which is named after Island Insurance founder Masayuki Tokioka, is underwritten by the Island Insurance Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Island Insurance Companies. 11 public school principals from across the state are finalists for this year’s award which recognizes outstanding school principals across the state and their efforts to provide high-quality learning opportunities for their students.
Hibbs has been principal of Kailua Elementary for 11 years. Her open door policy with students, staff and parents has established a leadership role that is caring as well as encouraging to students and staff to always press forward and persevere. With the help of her staff, an “Academies” program was created to improve student math scores through various non-traditional classroom and outdoor experiences. Each teacher is assigned a group of 13 students that meet every other week to work on math-based activities in addition to mentoring and connecting with students on a much more intimate level.
“Principal Hibbs is committed to education and excellence for all her students,” said Laurie Jicha, School Community Counselor and PTSA member. “Her thinking outside of the box has enabled students to have programs that would not regularly be provided due to the lack of funding available.”
The Island Insurance Foundation was established as the charitable arm of Island Insurance, the only locally-owned property and casualty insurance carrier to have a charitable entity solely dedicated to supporting the non-profit community. Island Insurance is Hawaii’s largest locally owned and managed P&C insurance carrier with financial strength ratings of “A” by A.M. Best and Fitch Ratings and is the only Hawaii-Based company to be recognized as one of the Top 50 property & casualty insurance companies in the nation by the Ward Group for four consecutive years. For more information, visit its website at: www.islandinsurance.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- First Insurance Charitable Foundation Donations Exceed $150,000 In First Half Of 2014
- American Savings Bank Donates $100,000 to the Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship
- Lasting Impacts of World War I Discussed at Hawaii State Library on July 26
- Honolulu's Group 70 Wins Bid on Major Tahiti Resort
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility