Trip to dentist turns tragic for Windward Oahu girl | News
KAILUA, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow)- A three-year-old girl is in critical condition following a procedure at a local dentist in Kailua, Oahu.
Three year old Finley Boyle is at Kapiolani Medical Center. It's unknown if she had any pre-existing medical conditions but we do know a lot of lives have been changed forever.
Photos show three year old Finley Boyle's bright smile. Family friends say on December 3 she was brought in for a dental procedure at Island Dentistry in the Kailua Professional Center when something went horribly wrong.
The friends say Finley was given too much anesthesia and sedatives. She then went into cardiac arrest and now has severe brain damage and will never be the same.
Friends say the dentist is Dr. Lilly Geyer. Her office, called Island Dentistry for Children, has a sign up saying it is currently closed. Not even the delivery man was let in. There were people in the office but they weren't talking.
"We have no comment," said an unidentified man inside the office.
The Island Dentistry website has also been taken down, but a screen grab from the archived website says the practice opened in 2006 and has 2,000 patients.
The "about us" section of the site also says Dr. Geyer "is certified in Basic Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, as well as Pediatric Advanced Life Support." However friends say when Finley began having complications the staff ran to the pediatrician's office down the hall and that doctor came to help with CPR.
Checks with the State show Dr. Geyer hasn't had any complaints filed against her, however there are mixed reviews of her performance online.
Finley's family has hired an attorney and may talk about the case soon.
We're also told Finley and her mom moved to Hawaii about three years ago. Her family from the mainland has been meeting here at the hospital for support.
Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- EXCLUSIVE: Teacher's aide investigated for stabbing student with pencil
- Gee Yung Martial Arts to perform lion dance at Koko Marina Center
- Hawaii's fastest, free WiFi network activated in Kakaako
- Architects Hawaii prepares master plan for Palama settlement as part of community service program
- Voting ends march 9 for People’s Choice Competition of Toyota’s 2014 dream car art contest
- WET’N’WILD HAWAII offers Best Deal in 15 Years of Operation
- Honolulu Property Management Welcomes Michelle Tang, Vice President of Business Development