Committee recommends site in Kailua for next landfill | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A landfill selection committee has recommended a site for Oahu's next landfill. Mayor Peter Carlisle's Advisory committee on Landfill Site Selection recommended the Kailua Ameron Quarry Site.
Currently, Oahu has two landfills: the City-owned Waimanalo Gulch Sanitary Landfill (WGSL) and the privately-owned PVT landfill. The WGSL is Oahu's only municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill.
The selection committee was given strict orders not to consider the current landfill site at Waimanalo Gulch.
The committee met for the first time on January 20, 2011.
The nine member committee came up with a list of 20 different criteria. Things like proximity to homes, schools and tourist attractions as well has rainfall, impact on endangered species and cost.
We will have more on this developing story tonight on Hawaii News Now.
To view a list of potential landfill sites and a map of their location click here.
To read more information about the landfill criteria click here.
For more about the landfill selection committee and its members click here.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Mall’s Marsha Nadalin Salon + Spa celebrates 20th Anniversary
- See "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" at Hawaii Kai Library on March 18
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- Join McDonald's restaurants of Hawaii in supporting Hawaii robotics with egg McMuffin purchase
- Celebrate the End of Tax Season with Ala Moana Hotel's Form of the 1040
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra joins Maestro Roger Nierenberg in special ‘Music Paradigm’ event
- Kaiser Permanente Hawaii rolls out free Wi-Fi at all facilities
- Attend Teen Tech Week Events at Six Libraries in March