Committee recommends site in Kailua for next landfill | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A landfill selection committee has recommended a site for Oahu's next landfill. Mayor Peter Carlisle's Advisory committee on Landfill Site Selection recommended the Kailua Ameron Quarry Site.
Currently, Oahu has two landfills: the City-owned Waimanalo Gulch Sanitary Landfill (WGSL) and the privately-owned PVT landfill. The WGSL is Oahu's only municipal solid waste (MSW) landfill.
The selection committee was given strict orders not to consider the current landfill site at Waimanalo Gulch.
The committee met for the first time on January 20, 2011.
The nine member committee came up with a list of 20 different criteria. Things like proximity to homes, schools and tourist attractions as well has rainfall, impact on endangered species and cost.
We will have more on this developing story tonight on Hawaii News Now.
To view a list of potential landfill sites and a map of their location click here.
To read more information about the landfill criteria click here.
For more about the landfill selection committee and its members click here.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii Named One Of Nation's Top 50 Property & Casualty Insurance Co.
- Avoid IP piracy and loss of tech and trade secrets in China
- Star Wars characters greet summer campers
- Family Fun Day Showcases New Kaiser Permanente Kona Medical Office