Police arrest man accused of several armed robberies | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A man believed to be behind a string of armed robberies is now in police custody.
According to the Honolulu Police Department, James Walters III was arrested Tuesday night after trying to break into a parked vehicle in Kailua on April 22.
Police say the victim, a 28-year-old male, returned to his car and observed Walters, 32, leaning into the vehicle. Walters then told the victim that he had a weapon.
The victim was able to recover property that Walters stole from the vehicle. Walters fled the scene, but was later located on Date Street in Honolulu.
Walters was arrested for robbery in the first degree and unauthorized entry of a motor vehicle.
HPD believes Walter may be behind two other recent armed robberies, one in Honolulu and another in Kailua.
According to police, on April 20, a male approached four visitors walking on Ala Wai Boulevard, demanded their property, brandished a handgun and fled the scene.
Also, on April 21 police say a male entered the L&R Restaurant in Kaneohe where he demanded money. Witnesses believe they saw a rifle hidden under a cloth. The suspect then fled the scene in a black Chevy Silverado truck.
Hawaii News Now's Ramsay Wharton is following the story.
We'll have more details as they become available.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- Hawaii Kai Fourth of July fireworks canceled, says organizer
- Kaiser High School's Principal John P. Sosa Named Hawaii's 2014 MetLife/NASSP Principal of the Year
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Aiea High Dance Spring Concert
- EXCLUSIVE: Drivers find way around Chinatown 'smart' meters
- Hart CEO and Mayor Caldwell unveil rail art program
- App for this year’s Hawaii Book & Music Festival presented by Bank of Hawaii
- Kupu Students Learn About Sustainable Development and Operations as Part of Mentorship Day
- Kaiser Permanente Promotes Barbara Kashiwabara to Executive Director Ancillary Services