Police arrest man accused of several armed robberies | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A man believed to be behind a string of armed robberies is now in police custody.
According to the Honolulu Police Department, James Walters III was arrested Tuesday night after trying to break into a parked vehicle in Kailua on April 22.
Police say the victim, a 28-year-old male, returned to his car and observed Walters, 32, leaning into the vehicle. Walters then told the victim that he had a weapon.
The victim was able to recover property that Walters stole from the vehicle. Walters fled the scene, but was later located on Date Street in Honolulu.
Walters was arrested for robbery in the first degree and unauthorized entry of a motor vehicle.
HPD believes Walter may be behind two other recent armed robberies, one in Honolulu and another in Kailua.
According to police, on April 20, a male approached four visitors walking on Ala Wai Boulevard, demanded their property, brandished a handgun and fled the scene.
Also, on April 21 police say a male entered the L&R Restaurant in Kaneohe where he demanded money. Witnesses believe they saw a rifle hidden under a cloth. The suspect then fled the scene in a black Chevy Silverado truck.
Hawaii News Now's Ramsay Wharton is following the story.
We'll have more details as they become available.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Prevent Child Abuse Hawaii Invites Community to Share a Bear at Windward Mall
- Kaneohe Library Offers Free April Storytimes and Screening of "Frozen"
- Kaiser Permanente Offers Hearing Health Seminar at Koolau Medical Office
- Windward Mall Springs Forward with April Events
- How Mark Towill raised $20M for a boat race
- McDonald’s supports 27,000 students in this year’s career and technical education program
- Honolulu Property Management Rolls Out New Tenant Portal
- Wet 'n' Wild Hawaii Welcomes Jerry Pupillo as New General Manager
- La Pietra presents “Up the Down Staircase”
- Hawaii Theatre to screen classic 1942 film Casablanca, April 26