Stranger tries to lure Kainalu elementary student into car | News
KAILUA (HawaiiNewsNow)- KAILUA (HawaiiNewsNow) - Stranger danger alert at a Kailua school.
Officials at Kainalu elementary school have warned parents about two recent incidents - where a stranger tried to lure at least one student into his car.
This stranger - driving a white car on Kainalu drive - cruised by the school's back fence, and in one of the incidents, told a student, ‘'Hey, little girl, climb over the fence and get in the car with me".
That incident happened on Monday, and thankfully, the girl was smart enough to run away and report it to a teacher. Last Friday, a group of students at recess also told a teacher about a similar white car with the passenger window rolled down.
"He was just staring at one of our students," says Kainalu elementary principal, Sheri Sunabe. "And then, as the teacher came up to the fence, the car took off."
Right now, police have no solid leads and little to work with. The man appeared to be in his 40's, short, black hair and fair skin. The white car has no make or model.
"It's scary. Very scary," says Jamie Beasley. Her son, Preston Smith, is a fifth grader at the school. When Beasley got the alert, she grew concerned for her son's, safety. "This guy was pretty bold," she says. "He came to the back of the school about 9:30, 9:45 in the morning. Nobody parks back there. He was obviously not hiding. He was just being very obvious and asked for a little girl to get into his car."
Preston says he's concerned, too. He knows about stranger danger from lessons at school and at home. "If a stranger approaches, get help. Don't go with them. Don't accept anything they give you."
Beasley would like to see more security at Kainalu. The school has requested extra police patrols or an undercover cop on campus. The school says police have told them they'll try to make extra rounds, if they can.
Officials have also alerted other schools, particularly here on the windward side, about this incident.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Hawaii Supreme Court Issues Landmark Ruling On News Media And Public Access To Criminal Trials
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii CEO Allen Uyeda Retiring On July 31, 2014
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii Named One Of Nation's Top 50 Property & Casualty Insurance Co.